NSAA Winter Season Guidelines
UPDATED December 31, 2020
Effective January 4, 2021
Circumstances related to the COVID-19 pandemic are constantly changing and vary from community to community. Difficult decisions will have to be made from week to week or even day to day. The health and safety of students, staff, and local communities remain the priority of the NSAA as we provide opportunities to participate in the winter sports season.
Each school has the authority to determine if it will continue to participate in the 2020-21 Winter Season. During the season it will be the responsibility of the host school to provide administrative oversight and compliance with established COVID-19 guidelines in accordance with their local health departments and facilities.
FOR ALL WINTER ACTIVITIES:
The NSAA is requiring the following of schools, officials and spectators for all winter season contests:
- Active participants are permitted, but not required, to wear face coverings during competition/performance.
- Coaches and non-active participants (those not currently on the court, mat or stage) are required to wear face coverings at all times.
- Spectators are required to wear face coverings at all times while attending indoor events.
- Face coverings must cover the nose and mouth.
- Attendance is restricted to 50% of occupancy. (Yellow DHM)
- The host school may establish additional requirements in consultation with local health departments. Additional requirements implemented by the host school must be the same for all schools, officials, judges, and spectators.
Recommended protocols for winter contest hosts:
- 6 feet of physical distance between household groups in stands and spectator areas.
- Provide no concession stands or separate/multiple concession stands for home and visitor spectators
- Provide separate/multiple restrooms for home and visitor spectators
- Use signage, stanchions or floor markings to ensure physical distancing of 6 feet at concession stands and restrooms
- Communicate availability of locker room space for the opposing team and officials to maintain 6 feet of physical distance
- Implement diligent and effective cleaning and disinfecting of frequently touched objects and surfaces
- Create separate points of entry and seating for home and visitor teams/spectators